Art and Design at Friezland Primary School
‘A Family Committed to Making a Difference’
At Friezland Primary School we aim to develop well-rounded, resilient individuals who demonstrate mutual respect and tolerance and who have a positive impact on their community and the wider world. Our Curriculum is designed with this in mind. We aim to encourage a life-long love of learning and develop skills for life through the delivery of exciting, challenging and stimulating experiences within and beyond the classroom.
The Art and Design curriculum is important because it stimulates creativity, imagination and inventiveness. It provides visual, tactile and sensory experiences and a special way of understanding and responding to the world. It enables children to communicate what they see, feel, and think through colour, texture, form, pattern, and different materials and processes. Children become involved in shaping their environments through art and design activities. They learn to make informed judgements and aesthetic and practical decisions. They explore ideas and meanings through the work of artists and designers. Through learning about roles and functions of art, they can explore the impact it has had on contemporary life and that of different times and cultures. The appreciation and enjoyment of the visual arts enriches all our lives.
The aims of Art and Design are:
- To enable children to record from first-hand experiences and from imagination, and to select their own ideas to use in their work.
- To develop creativity and imagination through a range of activities.
- To improve children’s ability to control materials, media, tools, and techniques.
- To increase their critical awareness of the roles and purposes of art and design in different times and cultures.
- To develop increasing confidence in the use of visual and tactile elements and materials.
- To foster an enjoyment and appreciation of the visual arts and a knowledge of artists, craftspeople and designers and apply to their own work.
- To show a development of ideas and their own skills through use of a sketch book.
- To use and explore a range of materials, resources and equipment.
- Through art, extend and enrich other curriculum areas.