PSHE Education at Friezland Primary School
‘A Family Committed to Making a Difference’
Friezland Primary School provides an inclusive, caring and stimulating environment in which all pupils have the opportunity to fulfill their potential in an atmosphere of mutual respect. Our Personal, Social, Health and Economic Education (PSHE Ed) programme promotes children’s personal, social and economic development, as well as their health and wellbeing. It helps to give children the knowledge and understanding they need to lead
confident, healthy and independent lives and to become informed responsible citizens.
Through a supportive partnership between home and school, children are encouraged to be motivated and independent learners, responsible and confident and able to contribute to the wider community. At Friezland Primary School, children’s wellbeing, happiness and safety are our first priority, and PSHE Ed is the key vehicle through which we share this with children. We regard PSHE Ed as an important, integral component
of the whole curriculum, central to our approach at the core of our ethos.
This policy applies to pupils, teaching and support staff, volunteers, governors, visitors to school and the before and after school club.
The aims of our PSHCE curriculum are to enable children to:
• Know and understand what constitutes a healthy lifestyle
• Know how to maintain physical, mental and emotional health and wellbeing
• Be aware of safety issues including how to respond in an emergency
• Know how to manage change, including puberty, transition and loss
• Understand what makes for good relationships with others within a range of social and cultural contexts and to respect equality and diversity
• Know how to recognise and manage emotions within a range of relationships
• Know how to recognise negative relationships, including all forms of bullying and abuse, how to help someone in this situation
• Know the importance of responsible behaviours and actions
• Be independent and responsible members of the school community
• Be positive and active members of a democratic society
• Develop self-confidence and self-esteem, and make informed choices regarding personal and social issues
• Develop good relationships with other members of the school and wider community
• Develop skills and positives attitudes that are necessary for their future lives.
• Know about the importance of respecting and protecting the environment
• Develop self-confidence and self-esteem and make informed choices regarding personal and social issues
• Know about where money comes from, how to manage it and the importance of keeping it safe.
• Have a basic understanding of enterprise